MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Smoke seen for miles as home burns in north Seattle

Photo via Seattle Fire Dept.

SEATTLE - Smoke was seen for miles Thursday as firefighters doused flames at a home in Seattle's Maple Leaf neighborhood.

The fire was caused by spontaneous combustion from oil staining rags and was deeded accidental, fire officials said. The estimated total loss due to the fire, including damage to an adjacent home, is $310,000.

The house is in the 1200 block of Northeast 94th Street. The owners were home when the fire started but escaped without injury.

It's not clear what sparked the blaze.

When firefighters arrived, they worked to ventilate the roof, causing thick smoke to rise into the air, fire officials said. The move intensified the fire but made it safer for firefighters to fight the flames.


There is significant damage to the roof and the side of the home, KOMO News crews report.

Firefighters remained on scene after extinguishing the fire to mop up hot spots.

This story is developing and will be updated.



\

Trending