Father of fatal DUI victim: 'Life will never be the same'

KENT, Wash. -- A Maple Valley man convicted in a deadly DUI crash will serve an 8 1/2-year sentence for the death of his then-girlfriend's 5-year-old son, Stacey-Izacc Holmes, during a drunken rampage in Auburn in December 2013.

During his sentencing, Tony Goodnow read a prepared statement that was addressed to the victim's father, Tracey Holmes.

"I'm sorry for the pain and grief we live through each day," said Goodnow. "I can't stress how sorry I am and how much I love him and miss him and will continue to miss him every day of my life. If it were my way it would have been me who passed on that night."

It's an apology that Stacey-Izacc Holmes' father has been waiting to hear for seven months.

"This is crazy to me," said Tracey Holmes. "I put my trust into this man to look after him when he was with his mom."

Stacey-Izacc died from injuries he suffered while riding in a car with Goodnow. At the time, he was the boyfriend of the boy's mother but, in court on Friday, it was revealed that Goodnow married the boy's mother in May.

During the crash, Goodnow was drunk and out of control behind the wheel. "No adult should ever feel like it's OK to put a child in a car and drive top speeds," said Holmes.

Goodnow drove 80 to 90 miles per hour along SR-164 in Auburn. He nearly hit an oncoming car then crashed into a tree. The young boy was not in a booster seat and did not wear a seatbelt.

"You killed my grandson and I want justice for Stacey-Izacc," said the boy's grandmother Christina Williamson.

During sentencing, family described how the young boy loved to ride his bike, sing, and dance.

"Life will never be the same. Never," said Holmes who now carries a teddy bear with him for comfort with his son's ashes inside.

"I'm happy that Stacey-Izacc got the justice he deserves," said Holmes. "I feel like (Goodnow) probably could have got a little more time but as far as the time he has now maybe he can reflect on what he's done and make sure it never happens again."

Stacey-Izacc's sister was also in the car the night of the crash but escaped without serious injuries.

The boy's family is planning to put up a memorial sign near the crash site in memory of Stacey-Izacc.