Elderly woman rescued from burning N. Seattle home dies

SEATTLE -- An 82-year-old woman who was rescued from her burning home by Seattle firefighters Tuesday afternoon has died.

Anna Moore became trapped inside her home in the 11700 block of 22nd Ave. NE when the fire broke out just after noon, said Kyle Moore with the Seattle Fire Department. Her 88-year-old husband had made it out and alerted firefighters his wife was still inside.

Firefighters raced inside and found the woman had made it into a bathtub, but was unconscious, not breathing and had no pulse. Firefighters and medics were able to reestablish a pulse and blood pressure via CPR on the way to Harborview Medical Center and she had been listed in critical condition, Kyle Moore said.

But a Harborview spokesperson said Wednesday that Anna Moore succumbed to her injuries earlier in the day. Her husband, who suffered smoke inhalation during the fire, is still at the hospital in stable condition.

Investigators said the fire was started by improperly discarded smoking materials.