Deputy fatally shoots man in SoDo confrontation

SEATTLE -- A King County Sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man Monday afternoon at a Light Rail station in Seattle's SoDo neighborhood.

The shooting happened at around 4:15 p.m. on the platform at the Sound Transit SoDo station, located at 500 South Lander Street, according to Sgt. DB Gates with the King County Sheriff's Office.

Police say several unarmed fare enforcement officers got into an altercation with a trio of train passengers who refused to provide proof of fare. The three men were asked to get off the train at the SoDo station, where the arguement continued.

At about 4:10 p.m. one of the fare enforcement officers called for backup, and a King County Sheriff's deputy arrived on scene moments later.

At some point in the altercation one of the passengers pulled out a gun, at which point the deputy opened fire on the man, hitting him at least once, according to police. Deputies attempted CPR on the man, but he died at the scene.

"(The deputy) was on scene for about 4 minutes, and that's when we got the notification that shots were fired," Gates said.

No one else was injured, and the two remaining suspects were taken into custody.

"This incident is primarily about a man pulling a handgun on a King County Sheriff's deputy, and that deputy responding with force -- in this case lethal force," said Sgt. Sean Whitcomb with the Seattle Police Department.

The deputy involved in the shooting has been with the sheriff's office since 2002. He began working with Sound Transit in 2009, Gates said.

Central Link light rail service was expected to be interrupted between the Beacon Hill and Stadium stations for several hours while police investigate the shooting. Shuttle buses will be available for passengers.

Two police officers were injured when they got into a crash while driving to the SoDo shooting scene. Two other people were also injured in the wreck.

A male and female officer, as well as two other men, were taken to Harborview Medical Center. All four were listed in stable condition Monday evening.

The Seattle Police Department will lead the investigation.