Court documents: 'I can't complain - I just killed somebody'

PORTLAND, Ore. - A man accused of killing his estranged wife and kidnapping their daughter has been indicted on numerous charges.

Joshua Cavett, 36, was already facing three felony charges, including murder, after investigators say he gunned down his estranged wife, 27-year-old Jessie Cavett, and then took off with their 2-year-old daughter. On Tuesday, prosecutors entered another 10 charges against him.

Cavett is facing three counts of aggravated murder, three counts of first-degree burglary, one count of second-degree custodial interference, one count of felon in possession of body armor, three counts of felon in possession of a firearm, one count of murder involving domestic violence and one count of unlawful use of a weapon involving domestic violence.

According to court documents obtained on Tuesday, after Cavett was arrested police discovered he had four guns, ammunition and even body armor. Those were all major violations because he is a convicted felon. The documents also state that Cavett was not surprised by his arrest and told officers "I can't complain - I just killed somebody."

Cavett did appear in court for the indictment, but did not speak. He did not enter a plea because his lawyer was not present. Cavett will be back in court on Dec. 4 to enter a plea.

The victim's sister, Jennie Cochran, did appear at Tuesday's hearing.

"I'm still trying to make it feel real," she said. "So that's one of the reasons why I wanted to make sure that I was here today - to see him. And I'm just really glad he doesn't look like he's doing too good."

"He looks really defeated," she added. "He looks completely wiped out and defeated, and that's how he deserves to feel."

The Back Story

It was around 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 12 when a 911 caller reported that a woman had been shot in her apartment in the 2700 block of West Powell Boulevard in Gresham. When officers arrived, they found Jessie Cavett clinging to life.

The woman was rushed to a hospital and a manhunt began for the suspect in the shooting - her estranged husband, Joshua Cavett. Police had reason to believe he had taken off with their 2-year-old daughter. His 5-year-old stepdaughter had been left behind with her mother.

An Amber Alert was issued and the word was spread about the man who was considered armed and dangerous. About 10 hours later, Cavett was taken into custody after he approached a man outside a home in Gresham and said he wanted to turn himself in. His daughter was with him - scared and confused, but unharmed.

Jessie Cavett did not survive the shooting. The medical examiner determined she died of a gunshot wound to the head. "By the time she got to the hospital, she was on life support and pretty much brain dead," her sister, Jennie Cochran, said.