Construction shop bursts into flames while owner dines with fire chief
FERNDALE, Wash. - A fire tore through a 10,000-square-foot construction shop here Saturday morning.
Friberg Construction’s shop burst into flames around 7:15 a.m., fire authorities say.
The building was filled with flammable liquids and thousands of dollars in vehicles and equipment.
Fire officials say the building carried a heavy fire load, including diesel, gas and kerosene.
The business owner, John Friberg, was having breakfast with Chief Gary Russell with Whatcom County Fire District 7 when the call came in, the Bellingham Herald reports.
The 76-year-old says he started the business 40 years ago and does construction work across Washington and Alaska.
Firefighters spent about 30 minutes on the initial knockdown and were able to salvage much of the office areas.