Christmas saved for local family who lost everything in house fire

NAPAVINE, Wash. -- A Lewis County family has been given one of the greatest gifts of all this Christmas: the generosity of a community, and even complete strangers.

The Trodahl family is facing hardship this Christmas after a fire destroyed their home in Napavine on December 15. Heavy smoke and heat damage deemed the house a total loss.

"You could see flames in our room and flames in the babies room," said Kayla Trodahl, who was spending the evening with her family at a friend's home when the fire started. "The hardest part for me is where the fire was at, in the babies' bed."

Jason and Kayla Trodahl have four sons: Levi, 11, Tanner, 7, Preston, 6, and 11-month old Cowen. The family arrived home during the late evening and found smoke billowing out of their home.

"My mom was crying when we came home," said 7-year old Tanner Trodahl. "She didn't know the house was fire."

The family not only lost everything they owned -- including pictures and precious mementos -- they also lost their Christmas gifts for their four children. But they says they are so grateful no one was injured in the fire.

"I couldn't get a better Christmas gift knowing what happened and what they said could have happened - as long as I have them," said Kayla Trodahl.

The family asked for prayers on their Facebook page. What they got in return has turned out to be the best Christmas ever.

Friends, family, community businesses, schools and even complete strangers helped Jason and Kayla give their children a Christmas filled with surprises, goodies and gifts.

"The gratitude I feel and how humbled I am by how many people have tried to help and how many people are here to constantly support us and support the boys," said Trodahl. "It has meaning beyond words."

The mother of four said there's been no other Christmas that compares to this year. That's because they have a new appreciation for each other after firefighters told the family their lives could been taken if they would have been home during the fire.

"We're just grateful to be having a Christmas," said Trodahl. "It's one I won't ever forget that's for sure."

The family is currently saying in a rental home not far from the home destroyed in the fire. Firefighters believe the blaze started because of electrical issues in the master bedroom.

A fund has been set up to help the Trodahl Family through this difficult time. Click here for more information.