Canadian sex predator found in Seattle registers as sex offender

SEATTLE -- A high-risk sex offender who recently fled Canada and was later located in Seattle has registered as a sex offender, officials said.

Michael Sean Stanley registered as homeless with the King County Sheriff's office Friday morning, said sheriff's spokeswoman Sgt. Cindi West. Stanley will be required to check in at a courthouse weekly.

U.S. Marshals and Seattle police officers located Stanley in Downtown Seattle Thursday near the corner of 2nd and Yesler. He was not arrested because Canadian authorities have declined to try extraditing him, but was told to register as a sex offender.

"We will keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't reoffend in our city," Jeff Kapel with Seattle Police said on Thursday.

West said her office is still waiting for documentation from Canada to see if Stanley does in fact actually have to register in Washington, and if so, he will be classified as either Level 1, 2 or 3 based on the information about his offenses.

Edmonton officials say Stanley has a long history of sexual offenses against women and children in Canada and had been missing since Oct. 1, when he cut off his electronic-monitoring bracelet near the Alberta-Saskatchewan boundary. In the aftermath, schools in several west-central Saskatchewan communities locked their doors and kept children inside after police got multiple, unconfirmed sightings of the Edmonton man.

Canadian authorities warned U.S. counterparts that Stanley might try to cross the border, but U.S. officials allowed him in at the Blaine crossing on Oct. 7 after determining he was a U.S. citizen and not the subject of an extraditable arrest warrant. Alberta authorities explored the possibility of seeking Stanley's extradition but eventually decided not to try.

U.S. law enforcement officials have said they can't arrest Stanley unless he commits a crime. Dan Coon, a Washington State Patrol spokesman, said this week that Stanley would be treated just like any other person.

"Until he does something illegal, there's really not much we can do," Coon said. "I would just stay clear of him."

Stanley was released from jail in Canada in April 2011 after completing a 32-month sentence for assault and forcible confinement. He recently was sought by Canadian authorities for charges related to removing his bracelet.

Stanley was being monitored by police under a peace bond, which Canadian authorities can get to impose conditions on individuals in the community. His peace bond has 20 conditions, including one ordering him to stay away from children.