Burien man and his dog survive vicious pit bull attack

BURIEN, Wash. -- A vicious pit bull attack left a Burien man and his dog battered and bloody on Monday, and animal control officers say the pit bull is still on the loose.

Matt Crockett and his dogs run the same five-mile route in Shorewood every day, but now he and his entire neighborhood are on edge after this week's attack.

From his Burien home, Crockett points out all of the wounds on his dog.

"He got bit on here initially and then rolled over and locked on his neck. And then later launched on, locked onto his neck there," he said.

Brody -- a 6-year old golden doodle -- is lucky to be alive.

"You can see the puncture marks from the pit bull's teeth," Crockett said.

Crockett and his dogs, Brody and Omar, were waiting to cross an intersection near Shorewood Grocery, when a pit bull lunged at Brody. He said the pit bull's owner had a rope tied around its neck, but he lost his grip and apparently control of his dog.

The attack on Brody lasted a good 4 to 5 minutes, according to Crockett.

"I then started hitting the pit bull in the face and the owner said keep hitting harder, harder," he said.

That didn't seem to phase the pit bull, so Crockett picked up the 5 pound weights he carries.

"He's pulling, I'm pounding, I pick up the weight I throw it at its head. I hit it in the head twice," he said. "Eventually the pit bull let go, my dog went running into the street. It was pretty chaotic."

People stopped and called 911, but the pit bull and his owner took off as soon as the attack was over. A witness followed them to a nearby church, where deputies eventually questioned the man. Unfortunately, the deputies were called away before animal control could arrive. When they did get there, the man and his dog were gone.

"All attacks are dangerous attacks. We are taking it very, very seriously," said Eric Swansen with the Regional Animal Services of King County.

Until the pit bull is in custody, Crockett said he's very concerned the dog could claim another victim.

"(It) could injure or kill a small kid," he said. "That's my concern. And I'm anxious. I'm extremely anxious."

After the attack, Crockett went out and bought mace to protect himself and his dogs. Brody faces several months of recovery and won't be running again any time soon. As for Crockett, he's waiting to learn if he'll need surgery on his broken hand.

If you ever encounter a dog you think might attack, the Humane Society suggests you resist the urge to run or scream. They say you should stay still with your arms at your side and avoid eye contact with the dog. When the dog loses interest, slowly back away.