Broken heater forces closure of Everett elementary school

EVERETT, Wash. -- Hundreds of elementary school students in Everett are being moved to another school after losing heat Thursday morning.School officials say teachers smelled gas inside Madison Elementary early Thursday morning and called 911. After investigating, firefighters deemed the school to be safe, but the discovered the heater had broken down.Many students were bussed to nearby View Ridge Elementary for the day, while students who walk to school were given the option of staying home. In the meantime Madison's principal sent this emil out to parents:"This morning Madison has no heat. Pending the fire department's investigation, we have sent bus students to View Ridge Elementary School. We are welcoming walking students and those arriving late into the school. However, if parents want to keep children home today, we understand. We will give you an update as more information becomes available later this morning. Thank you. Sincerely, Madison Elementary School."Puget Sound Energy is working to restore heat to the school.