Bomb threat sparks Lynnwood evacuation, naked man arrested

LYNNWOOD, Wash. - Some businesses at Alderwood Plaza in Lynnwood were evacuated Wednesday morning after a man entered a government office carrying two bags and threatened to blow up the building, officials said.

Police eventually arrested the man who disrobed during the standoff and was naked when officers took him into custody.

The bizarre incident began at about 9:15 a.m. when a man entered a Department of Corrections office in the 18700 block of 33rd Avenue West and started making threats about detonating a bomb, said Sgt. Sean Doty of the Lynnwood police.

The suspect had two backpack-sized bags and threw one of them at an interior window in the office building, Doty said.

A female employee was trapped inside the building as she hid from the suspect and called 911. Lynnwood officers arrived and were able to get the woman out of the building safely.

The suspect remained inside the building until about 10:05 a.m. when he came walking out unclothed and was taken into custody. He was described as a 42-year-old man whose last known address was Mountlake Terrace.

Some businesses in the area were evacuated as a precaution. A man, who works in the area, said police came inside the business and told him and his co-workers to get out.

"They told us there was a bomb threat next door and we needed to evacuate," said Caleb who only wanted to be identified by his first name.

At the Qdoba Mexican Grill, customers were turned away until the investigation was over around 1:45 p.m.

"This is our favorite place to come for lunch and we got here and saw there was some goings-on and can't have lunch here today," said Mary Stone. "We're disappointed but we understand what's going on."

A bomb technician and crew later arrived on scene with a remote-controlled robot to sweep the building for any sign of hazardous materials but found none. Police later said the bags the suspect was carrying contained papers and computer parts.

The suspect was booked into the Snohomish County Jail for harassment and threats to bomb. No one was injured during the incident.

The Department of Corrections office will reopen at noon on Thursday.