3 violent robberies in 1 hour in Central District

SEATTLE -- In the space of an hour, multiple people were attacked by groups of men in a series of violent robberies within a mile of each other last Saturday night in the Central District, according to the Seattle Police Department.

In the first robbery, the victim was walking on East Cherry Street near 24th Avenue around 8:50 p.m. when he was approached by a man, who asked him multiple times where he was going before punching him in the face, according to the police report for the incident.

According to the report, the victim fell to the ground and hit his head on the concrete, and the man kicked him multiple times before taking his wallet, stomping on his chest and running off.

The victim, who suffered a bruised and swollen head and a sore chest, later told officers he thinks there were at least two men involved in the robbery because he could hear them talking.

About 15 minutes later, a man was walking on 21st Avenue to a corner store when he saw six men standing near East Union Street and asking passing pedestrians for the time. He later told officers it appeared the men were trying to steal cellphones.

The men asked the victim for the time as he walked by, and he called it out from his wristwatch as he kept walking.

As the victim was walking home along the same route, two of the men crossed the street to where he was and asked him various questions -- did he have a cigarette, did he have a lighter, did he have "a dollar for a sweatshirt."

According to the police report for the incident, the two men then punched the victim multiple times in the face, knocking him to the ground, and ran off with his wallet.

The victim went home to set his broken nose and call 911.

At 9:40 p.m., a third victim was walking in the 2700 block of East Cherry Street when he was approached by a group of eight to 10 men who asked for the time.

According to the police report for the incident, when the victim took out his cellphone to look at the time, some of the men hit him in the head and face and he fell to the ground, dropping his phone.

The victim later told officers the men were talking and joking "like teenagers" as they walked off with his phone.

Police are unsure if all three robberies are related.