2,000 march around Seattle in protest of Ferguson decision

SEATTLE - Up to 2,000 protesters blocked streets in Seattle on Tuesday as demonstrations continued over the Missouri grand jury's decision not to indict white police officer Darren Wilson in the death of black 18-year-old Michael Brown.

The protesters worked their way through the city, headed in the direction of federal courthouse in downtown Seattle at 700 Stewart Street.

The crowd chanted "Hands up! Don't shoot!" as they marched. Many held signs saying "We Stand with Ferguson" and "Stop the War on Black Youth."

The size of the protest nearly doubled in size when it was joined by students from Garfield High School.

"All we have to do is stay and stick together no matter what race you are, no matter what gender you are, no matter what you believe in. We will continue to fight together!!!" student protestor Frank Waters said to applause at the rally.

The demonstration was peaceful, in contrast with an overnight protest that turned unruly and briefly forced the closure of Interstate 5 in downtown Seattle.

About 300 students at Roosevelt High School staged their own silent protest at one point, leaving classes and assembling at UW's Red Square against teachers' wishes, saying their "white" school cares, too.

"People at other schools tend to see us as a stereotypical white school. And they think that we can't make a change," said Ava Ikbal, who helped organize the protest. "And so this is kind of our way to say that we can."

Those students then returned to class.

Seattle mayor Ed Murray addressed the notion that protesters didn't see what the grand jury saw.

"Obviously I don't think this is just about the Grand Jury," Murray said. "I think this is about the academic issues that cause racism in our society; this is a city where 54 percent of African-American children live in poverty. I think that's what you're really seeing. It's not about one case."

There was one incident in South Seattle near Rainier Beach High School where a Rite Aid and Saars Market were vandalized and items were stolen, Seattle police said. But officers are looking at surveillance tape for who might be responsible. The stores have cleaned up and reopened.

Meanwhile, the Seattle City Attorney's Office said two of the four people arrested in Monday night's protest have been charged.

One protester, Neil Vanderloed, was charged with criminal trespass and reckless endangerment after he allegedly evaded police roadblocks and rode his bicycle onto I-5. Vehicles traveling at high speed had to swerve to avoid him, police say.

The second protester, Devin Dyas-Gordon, was charged with assault and obstructing a law enforcement officer after he allegedly grabbed an officer by the shoulder and shoved him while trying to break through a police bicycle-fence roadblock.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off