Woman shot in head, patrol car struck in Pioneer Square

SEATTLE - A woman is clinging to life after being shot in the head during a disturbance in Pioneer Square early Monday morning, police said.

The drama began at about 1:10 a.m. as a fight between two men on the southeast corner of 2nd Ave. S. and S. Main Street, Seattle police said.

During the melee, at least two people pulled out guns and fired, striking three men and two women.

"(I) heard like five or six gunshots and then I came around the corner and seen people fighting," said Andre Anderson. "And then next thing I know, I came down this way and a car was speeding off."

An officer on patrol in the vicinity of 2nd Avenue and Cherry Street heard gunshots to the south and headed toward the gunfire.

Meanwhile, a woman driving a beige sedan was fleeing the scene heading north on southbound-only 2nd Avenue Extension South. She slammed into a fully-marked police car heading south on 2nd Avenue Extension South that was responding to the shots fired.

After striking the patrol car the woman lost control of her vehicle and struck a parked car on the west side of the street. Neither the woman nor the officer were injured in the collision. She is currently being detained for further investigation, police said.

As more officers responded to the area they discovered a woman who had been shot in the head near the northwest corner of 2nd Avenue Extension South and South Main Street.

Medics responded and rushed the victim to Harborview Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

About 15 minutes after the shots were fired, a man was dropped off at Harborview's emergency room with a gunshot wound to the foot. The vehicle that dropped him off then left the scene. That vehicle was later located and stopped on MLK Jr. Way South. The occupants were detained for questioning.

The three others wounded in the gunfire were eventually identified and treated, police said. None of them suffered life-threatening injuries.

Later, officers stopped a vehicle possibly connected to the disturbance at 2nd Avenue South and South King Street. The occupants of that vehicle also were detained for questioning, but later released pending further investigation. However, their car was impounded for further analysis.

Police say one suspect, a 21-year-old man, was identified and arrested away from the scene. He's been booked into the King County Jail for investigation of felony assault and being a felon in possession of a gun.

Homicide and CSI detectives continue to actively investigate.