Tips for Bellingham businesses after string of burglaries
BELLINGHAM, Wash. -- The Bellingham Police Department is offering crime-prevention tips after a string of burglaries to local businesses over the past two months.
Starting with the burglary to a business in the 1400 block of King Street on Dec. 3, at least 14 businesses have had their windows broken and been burglarized.
Victimized businesses are located on King Street, East Holly Street, James Street, 11th Street, North State Street, Cornwall Avenue and Harris Avenue.
Police are withholding more details on the crimes while an investigation is underway but are offering the following tips to businesses.
- Before you leave for the night/weekend, please remove all cash from your register and put it in a safe place. Leave emptied register drawers open.
- Leave a light on and your windows uncovered after closing. This allows for an unobstructed view inside.
- Consider applying security film on the interior of your glass windows. Security film adds a layer of protection from glass breakage and is available through several local vendors.
- If you have an alarm system, make sure it is operating properly and is turned on.
- If you see anyone acting suspiciously around a closed business, please call 911.
- If you are a victim of a burglary, call 911 and report it. In some cases, police are not notified if loss is minimal, however, this is valuable information to have.
- If you use a security camera, make sure it is operating properly.
- Make sure all of your doors and windows are locked before you leave.
- Anyone that hears an audible burglary alarm, especially at night, is asked to call 911.