The Jet City Comic Show is this weekend in Tacoma, Washington.
This back to basics comic show is a one day celebration of comics and gaming. Fans can enjoy thousands of comic books and toys, costume contests, and the chance to meet and talk with 100 comic book creators. This will be the first comic book convention in Tacoma in 16 years.
"We are thrilled at the opportunity to bring the Jet City Comic Show to Tacoma," said co-promoter James Taylor. "The excited reaction from the local community has been amazing."
"Tacoma has a thriving comic book scene," said Shane Ziemer, owner of Atomic Comics in Tacoma. "It will be cool to have a place to celebrate it."
Renowned animator Michel Gagn, whose works include, "The Iron Giant," will be a featured guest. The first 200 attendees receive a free Bomber Girl art print from Gagn. He also will discuss another of his creations in a presentation entitled, "The Saga of Rex: from Storybook to Graphic Novel to Animated Film."
Science fiction/fantasy writers Neal Stephenson and Mark Teppo are recently announced guests joining the roster of comic book writers and artist fans can meet and talk with including:
- Pete Woods: Deadpool, Action Comics
- Rebecca Woods: Deadpool, Robin
- Chris Roberson: iZombie, Masks, Superman
- Matthew Clark: Superman, Outsiders, Ghost Rider
- Colleen Coover: Eisner Award Winning Bandette
- Clayton Crain: Ghost Rider, Spider-Man, X-Force
- Michel Gagn: Zed: A Cosmic Tale, Saga of Rex, The Iron Giant
- Rebekah Isaacs: Angel & Faith, DV8
- David Lasky: Eisner Award Winning The Carter Family: Don't Forget This Song
- Mike Royer: Tarzan, Our Fighting Forces, Mister Miracle
- Jen Vaughn: Avery Fatbottom: Renaissance Fair Detective, Adventure Time
- Shane White: North Country, The Overman, Things Undone
The all-ages family entertainment will include a kids workshop from The Tacoma Art Museum, and the Sealugs will present a giant Lego display. Separate costume contests for children and adults will award prize money. There will also be prizes with Magic the Gathering gaming tournament.
This will also mark one of the first public appearances of Amazon's new comic book publishing imprint, Jet City Comics.
"There's an excitement with their entrance into the comic book industry and we are proud to have them as sponsors in addition to being part of the show," explained Taylor.
The Jet City Comic Show is this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Exhibition Hall at the Greater Tacoma Convention and Trade Center.