Teen accused of attempted murder after attack on woman

BELLINGHAM, Wash. - Authorities have arrested a 16-year-old boy suspected of severely beating and choking a 44-year-old woman inside her Bellingham home, police said.

The incident began Saturday at about 4:30 a.m. when officers responded to the Haggen grocery store on Woburn Street after receiving a report of an unruly teenage boy, said Lt. Rick Sucee of the Bellingham police.

Employees said the teen came into the store with no shirt and no shoes and began yelling, but he left before officers arrived.

While the officers were in the area, another call came in reporting an assault. Officers responded to the 3100 block of St. Clair Street and discovered a 44-year-old Bellingham woman who had been severely beaten about the face. The woman also reported being choked with some object.

The woman told officers she had opened her door slightly after hearing banging and yelling at her front door. Once the door was open, a teenage boy, later identified as Jacob Carmickle, pushed his way into her house and started to go to the second floor where the woman's child was.

The woman tried to stop the boy at which time he slugged her several times in the face with his fist and slammed her head repeatedly on the floor, police said.

At one point he put something around her neck and choked her until she lost consciousness, Sucee said. When she awoke the teen was gone.

Officers checked the neighborhood and found a pair of pants with Carmickle's wallet inside. Police then found Carmickle at his residence in the 2200 block of Yew Street Road. He was asleep in bed and covered in blood.

Carmickle told officers he was high on marijuana and mushrooms. He also thought that he had killed the woman he attacked, Sucee said.

The victim was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital for treatment and is expected to be released on Monday.

Carmickle was arrested and booked into the Whatcom County Juvenile Detention Center for investigation of second-degree attempted murder and first-degree burglary.

Bail was set at $1 million.