Son in Puyallup double shooting dies of his injuries

PUYALLUP, Wash. - A 46-year-old Puyallup man who allegedly was shot in the head by his father on Sunday has died of his wounds, police said Thursday.

The shooting victim and his 43-year-old sister were both shot in the head as they slept early Sunday, and their father called 911 and claimed responsibility for the shootings, according to investigators.

The woman died of her injuries within hours of the shooting, but the brother had been clinging to life in grave condition at Tacoma General Hospital until Thursday.

Deputy Chief Dave McDonald of the Puyallup police said the charges against the father, Michael League, 69, will be changed now to two counts of first-degree murder to reflect the killings of both his daughter, Danielle Faucett, and son, Dennis League.

Officers responded to the scene, a home in the 1500 block of 5th Street SE, at about 3:30 a.m. after receiving the 911 call from the father. He told dispatchers he had just shot his adult son and daughter, said Deputy Chief Dave McDonald of the Puyallup police.

"I just committed a father's worst sin," Michael League tells a dispatcher in a recording of his call to 911. "I just shot my daughter in the head, and my son in the head. ... I put them out of their misery."

Police surrounded the home as 911 dispatchers talked Michael League out of shooting himself and convinced him to put his gun down and surrender to officers. Moments later, Puyallup police took the man into custody in front of the home.

Officers entered the home and found two gravely injured shooting victims in different rooms of the house, one upstairs and one downstairs. Both had suffered gunshots to the head and appear to have been shot in their sleep, McDonald said.

Also found in the home were two boys, ages 6 and 7, as well as Michael League's wife. The children and the wife were unhurt. All three were taken from the home.

Police later said that Dennis League is the father of the two boys, and the suspect, Michael League, is the boys' grandfather. The children had been living at the home with their dad and grandparents.

Michael League was placed under arrest and booked into the Pierce County jail.

In Pierce County Superior Court on Monday, League was in a wheelchair and sounded distraught at times as he pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder and first-degree attempted murder. His bail was set at $2 million.