Seattle Fire: carbon monoxide affects 7 people

SEATTLE -- A Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman says seven people apparently affected by high carbon monoxide levels at a north Seattle condo building were sent to a hospital, including two men found unconscious.

Lt. Sue Stangl said the seven included a Seattle police officer who helped in the Wednesday evening rescue.

All were sent to Virginia Mason Medical Center, which has a hyperbaric chamber for oxygen therapy. Stangl says only the two men considered critical at the scene showed evidence of significant impairment.

Emily Corona said her dad performed CPR on one of the victims, and that's not the only way he helped out.

Marty Corona was making dinner with his wife when they thought they smelled car exhaust. They called 911, which Fire department officials say likely saved several lives.

"It doesn't surprise me that they care that much," Emily Corona said. "They've been pretty close to those neighbors for a while now.

Police say one elderly man was found unconscious inside the unit next to the Corona's apartment. Another elderly man, also unconscious, was found inside the garage below. Both men were taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Fire Department detectors found high levels of carbon monoxide in the six-unit building. Two other residents were also sent for treatment and the building was aired out.