Police: Woman breaks up robbery, gains victim's trust, robs him

SEATTLE -- A woman added a touch of psychological torture to her crime when she rescued a man mid-robbery only to secure his trust and steal the remainder of his belongings, according to the Seattle Police Department.

According to the police report for the incident, the whole bizarre affair started around 1:30 a.m. March 18 when the victim returned to his car in a South Lake Union parking lot only to be accosted by two men who held what the victim thinks was a gun against his back.

The men told the victim to get in his car, and they got in with him and proceeded to ransack it, according to the report.

The victim later told officers the men weren't satisfied and demanded money, which he didn't have.

According to the report, when the victim said he didn't have any money, one of the men put a large knife under his chin. Further protestations led to the victim being choked with his own scarf and losing consciousness.

The victim came to a time later, and the men were still in his car, yelling at a woman they appeared to know who was walking nearby.

The woman came over to the car and told the victim these were serious men he was dealing with, and he should give them whatever they want.

For reasons unexplained, the victim showed the woman his mother's hospital paperwork he keeps in the glove compartment. Her sympathies thus secured, the woman told the men to get out of the victim's car.

The victim told officers the men listened to the woman for some reason and got out of the car, walking off with his belongings, including his cellphone, and ending the 40-minute ordeal.

According to the report, the victim spent some time talking to the woman, his car being un-driveable due to the men having removed a number of coils from its engine.

During their conversation, the woman told the victim he should really try to come up with some money because she thought she could talk the men into selling his stuff back to him, according to the report.

The victim agreed to the plan and popped the coils back in his engine, and the pair drove around looking for the men, finding them a few blocks away.

According to the report, the victim hopped out of his car and yelled at the men to give him his stuff back, a demand that was met with a prompt tasering from one of the robbers.

While the victim was being shocked, he looked back to see the woman, his one-time rescuer, making off with the remaining belongings from his car, according to the report.

The victim said despite asking a group of eight teenagers passing by to call 911, officers never arrived, and the three robbers escaped into the early morning.

Later that day, the victim got a call from his stolen cellphone. According to the report, the unknown woman on the line said she would sell his phone back to him, but he had to send someone else to pick it up.

The victim decided to send his neighbors, an elderly couple with health problems, who drove from Bellevue to a Central District Goodwill and bought his cellphone back for $50.

The victim only finally decided to report the incident to police last week in order to satisfy his insurance companies.