Police: Golfers to the rescue after woman kidnaps kids

SEATTLE - A Lakewood woman accused of stealing a truck carrying two children before attacking a pregnant woman during a second car theft attempt has been charged with kidnapping.

Describing the Feb. 28 incident, King County prosecutors contend Natalie Hulme stole a Ford Ranger from a Federal Way pawn shop parking lot - taking two young girls in the pickup along for a terrifying ride. Hulme, 49, is alleged to have abandoned the truck and the children to try to steal another car before a group of golfers and a bystander intervened.

According to charging papers, the trouble started at 5:15 p.m. after the girls' mother stopped at a We Buy Gold store in the 33600 block of Pacific Highway South.

Hulme began calling to the woman in the store's parking lot. The woman stepped out of the car to speak with Hulme, who then rushed into the driver's seat, according to charging papers. The woman's daughters, ages 5 and 2, were still inside the pickup.

The 5-year-old girl later told police Hulme tore the ear off one of her stuffed animals and called her a thief, King County Senior Deputy Prosecutor Alice Degen said in charging papers. The girl told police she was afraid Hulme would kill her.

Hulme jumped the curb and made it to Meeker Street in Kent, where the truck became disabled due to two flat tires, Degen said. Abandoning the Ford near Riverbend Golf Course, the prosecutor continued, Hulme then began trying to force her way into stopped cars on Meeker Street.

While most of those on the road were able to lock her out, Hulme forced her way into the passenger side of a stopped car, according to charging papers. Hulme is alleged to have elbowed the passenger - a pregnant woman - in the stomach while attempting to reach the driver's seat.

Another driver pulled Hulme out of the SUV, a Federal Way detective said in charging papers. A group of golfers then chased her town and tackled her, holding her until Kent police arrived.

The children's mother and others identified Hulme as the assailant. Hulme declined to speak with police following her arrest.

Hulme has been charged with two counts of first-degree kidnapping, car theft and attempted car theft. She remains jailed on $200,000 bail.