Partying lawyer impedes investigation into wine-throwing disturbance

SEATTLE -- Throwing a glass of wine into an enemy's face is a time-honored tradition of reality TV shows (and shows that make fun of those reality TV shows). But, it's a maneuver that is perhaps best left to the professionals, especially when police officers and partying lawyers are involved.

According to the report for the incident, Seattle Police Department officers arrived outside an apartment in the 200 block of 26th Avenue East shortly before 2 a.m. Feb. 3 to deal with an assault at a party.

The victim had been transported to Harborview Medical Center with a long, deep cut on his forearm and a smaller cut to his face, significant but not life-threatening injuries, according to the report.

Officers were met outside the apartment by a self-identified lawyer who happened to be at the party and said he represents the suspect.

The lawyer led officers up to the party, following a trail of blood, where officers found the suspect crying hysterically in a chair while wrapping a bloody paper towel around her hand. Other guests were cleaning up shards of glass.

According to the report, the suspect sobbed uncontrollably as she unwrapped the paper towel to show officers a few superficial cuts on her hand.

The suspect agreed to tell officers what happened; but the lawyer and a handful of other party guests kept interrupting with legal advice that hindered the investigation, according to the report.

Officers were able to get some details from the suspect in between bouts of unsolicited legal advice.

The suspect told officers the victim was making fun of her because she belongs to an internet dating site. She said he was unrelenting in his teasing, and she became angry.

According to the report, the suspect was adamant she only meant to throw her glass of wine in the victim's face, but he tried to block the glass, shattering it.

She told officers she didn't have time to stop her throwing motion and ended up slicing the victim's arm and face.

According to the report, the suspect agreed to move to a bedroom to speak with officers privately, but the lawyer followed, telling her she didn't need to make a statement.

In the meantime, another party guest was threatening to sue officers for negligence if the suspect wasn't arrested, according to the report.

And, yet another party guest told officers he had secretly recorded the suspect talking about the attack but couldn't play them the video because his phone's battery was nearly dead. He agreed to email it to them.

In the end, the suspect was arrested for investigation of assault.

But, the officers' long investigation into the botched wine throwing wasn't over. Speaking to the victim at Harborview, he gave a different reason for the attack.

He told officers the suspect asked him if he and his friends were something (the "something" is unfortunately redacted in the police report). He said he pretended not to know what she was talking about, upsetting her.

The victim told officers the suspect threatened to throw wine in his face multiple times, even after he tried to move onto a different topic, so he finally agreed that, yes, he and his friends were something.

Shortly later, the suspect attempted to throw her glass of wine into his face anyway, according to the victim.

The victim said the suspect definitely only meant to throw her wine in his face, not hospitalize him. Nevertheless, the case was referred to the City Attorney's Office.