Ohio case gives local parents new hope of finding missing kids

SEATTLE -- The news that three Ohio women were found alive more than a decade after they disappeared sparked new hope for a number of local parents who are desperately trying to find their own missing children.

The families of Sky Metalwala and Teekah Lewis are hoping for a similar phone call telling them their kids have been found safe.

In the first few hours, weeks and even months after their children went missing, every phone call brought a flash of hope, followed by a stab of disappointment.

But Monday's news out of Cleveland is stirring optimism again for parents who are anxious for answers.

Theresa and Robert Lewis can't turn away from their television. Their 2-year-old daughter, Teekah, vanished from a Tacoma bowling alley in 1999.

Robert Lewis was in prison when his daughter disappeared and he has never talked about it publicly.

He was confused by a call yesterday and initially thought the news bulletin about children found in Cleveland was about his own child.

"My mind instantly went to, 'They found my baby.' So I rushed over here. Then when I realized what it was I was really, you know, heartbroken," he said.

If somebody spotted Teekah, she would probably look a lot liker her younger sister, 16-year-old Temeeka.

The discovery of the three Ohio girls gives the entire Lewis family new hope that Teekah could still be alive.

"I hope she's going to school and being well taken care of, but she's with the wrong parents," Theresa Lewis said.

Monday's shocking news also gave new hope to the father of Sky Metalwala, who has been missing for a year and a half.

Solomon Metalwala's son was just 2-years old when his mom told police her car ran out of gas and she left Sky in the car while she went for help. She said Sky was gone when she returned.

"They haven't found his body, so that means he's out there somewhere," Solomon said.

Solomon said he's holding out hope that he'll see his child again.

"It means there's hope for me. There's hope for everything," he said.

Solomon believes Bellevue police are still on the case, but he has no new information about his son's whereabouts. He's just glad the girls in Ohio had the courage to call out for help.