The fire was first reported at around 8:30 p.m. on the fifth-floor deck of an apartment building in the 300 block of Bellevue Avenue East.
Crews were on scene moments later and had the fire under control before 9 p.m.
There were no reported injuries and the fire was contained to a single unit, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
Investigators believe improperly discarded smoking materials sparked the fire. The fire did roughly $70,000 in damage, but the residents were allowed back in Tuesday night.