Local vet compiles the largest list of area Veteran's Day freebies ever
Veteran and former Belltown blogger David Nelson has spent the last four years talking to area businesses in an attempt to expand his ever-growing list of freebies and promotions for vets, as a way to thank them for their service and celebrate their dedication. This year, his list is the biggest it's ever been, with 80 businesses participating.
"It's easy putting together a list this big when you have so many generous businesses around Seattle that are more than happy to honor military veterans," says Nelson of the project.
"It's got to the point that Seattle businesses were contacting me to be asked to be put on the list so they can show their appreciation for military veterans in our community."
"The businesses below are honoring veterans out of the goodness of their heart and deserve the utmost respect for what they are doing," says Nelson, who also encourages the vets to thank the businesses in return.
The trend of Veteran's Day freebies also extends to large chains, many of whom offer special offers as as a token of their gratitude. Here are just some of the national chains where veterans can get some deals and steals.
- Krispy Kreme: Start your day with a free donut and small coffee.
- Starbucks: Not enough caffeine? Skip to Starbucks, where you'll get another free tall drip.
- Denny's: Free all-you-can-eat stacks of buttermilk pancakes.
- California Pizza Kitchen: Free pizza, any size and any kind. Go wild.
- Great Clips: Free haircuts, all day long, as well as free rain-checks for servicemembers.
- Hooters: All you have to do is buy a drink, and vets get a free lunch of up to $10.99.
- Applebees: Applebees has a a whole free veteran menu -- just show your ID.
- Olive Garden: Has the same thing.
For the complete list of all the local companies that are participating, visit Nelson's huge inventory over on the Seattle PI.
And to the servicemen and women out there, we thank you for your service and sacrifice.