Girl, 15, reaches plea deal in Snohomish High stabbing

SNOHOMISH, Wash. -- A Snohomish High School student accused of stabbing a classmate has reached a deal with prosecutors.

As a part of a plea deal, the 15-year-old defendant pleaded guilty as an adult to first-degree assault. She also pleaded guilty to second-degree assault as a juvenile. Both charges stem from the Oct. 24 stabbing of two girls.

The teen will serve time in juvenile detention until she turns 21, then serve an additional 100 months in the custody of the state Department of Corrections. She has also been ordered to stay away from her victims for the rest of her life.

"(Her) family says this is not the girl they know, and hope the legal outcome will help her find her way back," said defense attorney Caroline Mann.

"She'll have a lot of chances to do treatment and get better, so this doesn't happen again. And it protects the community as much as we could hope," said prosecutor Cindy Larsen.

The teen showed no emotion, but her mother wept through the proceedings. Neither victim came to court, not wanting to face their attacker. The mother of one of the victims was in attendance and addressed the court.

"(The defendant) has made statements since the attack that terrify me as a parent, and should terrify the community as well," said Sue Lutz.

On October 24, April Lutz and her friend, Bekah, were inside a school bathroom at Snohomish High, brushing their teeth before class when a bathroom stall slowly opened.

"The chick just glared at us in the mirror while we were in there. I remember we were just getting ready to leave and she just came at me," Lutz said. "I don't remember anything but being on the floor kicking at her and Bekah running out screaming for help."

Bekah was stabbed twice. April lost count of how many times she was stabbed.

"She was stabbed over 20 times," said attorney Sim Osborn. "Stabbings are personal. And they're angry and violent."

Surveillance video shows 14-year-old Lutz enter the bathroom with Bekah. A minute later, their attacker enters, wearing a hood.

After the attack, paramedics rushed in and found Lutz clinging to life. Osborn said she nearly died twice on the way to the hospital, but was somehow able to survive.

"I just kind of understood that she wanted to kill someone and do something to hurt somebody," Lutz said. "If it wouldn't of been me it would have been some other person."

The Problem Solvers uncovered chilling court documents that suggest Lutz might be exactly right. The documents say the suspect told her school counselor six months before the brutal attack that she was having thoughts of violence.

The counselor's record quotes her: "I get these really like sick thoughts of killing people and it's not just like shooting someone I hate," the girl said. "It's like sick twisted ways of the people I love. And the thoughts keep getting worse it's not normal, is it?"

The documents also reveal that a friend of the suspect learned the girl "had been fantasizing about killing her ... killing her own mother, brother and another girl from school."

Another classmate said the suspect sent her a message that read, "One day I am going to snap and just and kill everybody," according to the documents.

Court filings reveal the school suspended the girl. She got treatment and documents show that 10 days later a hospital said the girl was "safe to return to school and home." Six moths later, she apparently snapped.

"They shouldn't have let her back, I don't think," Lutz said. "If she threatened to kill somebody else why would you want her in there?"

Lutz is trying to get back to her normal life, but she hasn't been alone since the attacks and said she probably never will be again.

"Our focus now is solely on April and making sure she fully recovers physically and emotionally from everything that happened," Lutz's parents said in a statement. "We are looking forward to putting all of this behind us for good and moving on with our lives."