Feds: Kent dad tried to hide gun on son after shooting

SEATTLE -- Already facing federal drug charges, a Kent felon has now been indicted for gun crimes.

Rahman "Roc" Johnson can breathe easy on one matter, though - no one is going to accuse him of being Father of the Year.

Federal prosecutors in Seattle contend Johnson, 33, tried to hide his Smith & Wesson revolver in his 5-year-old son's coat when police stopped him late last month.

Court documents indicate Johnson - bleeding from a gunshot wound at the time - was driving his son away from a shooting. A convicted felon, Johnson was facing federal charges on allegations that he illegally dealt large quantities of prescription drugs.

Indicted Wednesday, Johnson is alleged to have stuffed the pistol into his son's clothing when Auburn police officers investigating gunshots stopped him.

According to charging documents, officers responding to the shooting found Johnson stopped with a flat tire in the 300 block of A Street Southeast. He was behind the wheel, while his son was in the back seat.

A responding officer noticed Johnson was bleeding from the leg; asked about the gunshot, he claimed to have been shot near his ex-girlfriend's home.

Having sent Johnson to Harborview Medical Center, officers took his son to the police station. On the way, the boy made a startling admission.

"I have a gun," the 5-year-old told police.

Investigators later came to believe Johnson had driven with his son to shoot the boy's mother, an FBI special agent said in court documents. Instead, Johnson himself was shot during an altercation at the home.

Wounded and facing arrest, Johnson stuffed the gun into his son's pocket, the agent continued.

Speaking with police, Johnson claimed to have gone to his ex's home to get personal papers needed to enroll his son in school. According to charging documents, Johnson told police he opened fire with his pistol after his ex's boyfriend started shooting at him near the home.

Asked how his son came to be holding his gun, Johnson admitted he handed it over, the FBI agent continued.

"I'm not going to bull---- ya, I put the gun there," Johnson told police, according to charging documents.

Johnson went on to say he regretted doing so, and that he shouldn't have been carrying the gun in the first place, the FBI agent told the court.

On Wednesday, a grand jury indicted Johnson on a single count of unlawful gun possession. He remains under indictment on charges related to a painkiller-trafficking ring alleged to be operating in the Seattle area.

Johnson has pleaded not guilty in both cases. He remains jailed.