Bail set at $350,000 for teen accused in Metro bus robberies

SEATTLE -- A judge set bail at $350,000 Tuesday for the teenager accused of {A href=""}holding up three passengers at gunpoint on board a King County Metro bus.

Prosecutors believe 19-year-old Trevonnte Brown was wearing a ski mask when he boarded the bus Monday night near the intersection of 3rd and Pike in downtown Seattle. As the bus neared West Seattle, Brown allegedly held up three passengers at gunpoint, robbing them of their cell phones, before the third victim - and several other passengers - tackled him and held him down, authorities said.

Brown, a recent graduate of Franklin High School with no criminal history, waived his first appearance in court Tuesday afternoon. His mother sobbed as prosecutors called the South Seattle teenager an "extreme danger."

"That's not my son. That's not my son," said Brown's mother, Trina Clay, after the brief court hearing. "He's never done anything like this. This is not within his character. He wasn't raised like this."

Clay said Brown had recently broken up with a girlfriend and was looking for a new job, but that was no excuse for what he's accused of doing. She apologized to the passengers on board the bus.

"I don't know what happened. I just don't know what's been going on. I tried to talk to him. And he just says he's fine, he's fine," she said, sobbing. "I know that's not him. Something was wrong with my son. I know they're going to try to railroad him (because of what) everything everybody else is doing on King County buses right now."

{A href=""}Surveillance video shows the moments after the bus parked in the 6000 block of California Avenue Monday night, and passengers rushed toward a nearby protected walkway.

"I just heard a lot of noises, high-pitched voices, and assumed it was a ruckus," said Kelli Henderson, whose business, ZippyDogs, captured the moment on tape. "Both the doors on the bus opened up and people were running off, and a lot of people went over here to kind of seek shelter and refuge over here."

Across the street, salon owner Christina Darragh said she saw Brown trying to kick his way out of a police car once he'd been handcuffed.

"At that point it's really loud because he just kept slamming his legs up against the side door, and eventually he pushed right through - broke right through the window," she said.

Darragh said she was grateful for the people who stepped in to tackle the gunman on board the bus.

"(One man) was the one who actually put his finger into the trigger - in back of this guy's trigger finger and he stopped that and all three of the guys went and took the guy down," she said. "I'm really impressed. That's the way West Seattle is, to be honest with you."

Not far from where the bus ended up, Brown's cousin, Anthony Clay Jr., was stunned by the news of his relative's arrest.

"He's such a good kid. It's not him. It's not him at all," Clay said. "Our family is a structured family based off of respect. He knows right from wrong. There has to be somebody behind it that's telling him to do it."

Brown could face more than 15 years in prison if convicted on the three robbery counts he's facing.

"I don't want him to go to prison. He's not ready for jail. He's not ready for prison," his mother added. "That's not my son."