Attorney accused of raping 5 women still held

SEATTLE -- A Seattle attorney charged with raping massage therapists in Seattle, Shoreline and Bellevue was still being held in jail Tuesday while he awaits trial.

Danford D. Grant, 47, faces multiple charges of rape and attempted rape in attacks involving five women. He has pleaded not guilty.

Grant had been scheduled for release Tuesday after a judge set conditions for his release. But word came later the release would not happen Tuesday.

If let out on bond, Grant will be electronically monitored will have an internet tracking device installed on his computer. He would only be able to leave his house for only four hours a day but only for medical or legal appointments. He must also attend counseling sessions.

Grant was arrested Sept. 24 at the Carnation Massage Clinic in Greenwood. An employee told police Grant raped her at knife point about one month earlier, and returned and again tried to sexually assault her the day of his arrest.

Prosecutors said Grant also raped another woman at the same business in July.

After the arrest, a detective working the case was contacted by a Bellevue police detective who said a victim from Bellevue had positively identified Grant from a photo line up. In that case a man matching Grant's description raped a massage therapist at knife point on August 28.

Grant is also charged with raping a massage therapist at her home in Shoreline on August 19. The victim in that attack told police Grant came to her house to ask for a massage. When she said no, he allegedly forced his way inside, breaking the chain lock inside the door.

The woman said Grant then put his hands around her neck and covered her mouth so she couldn't scream, according to court documents. Grant allegedly said he just wanted a massage, but the victim said he forced her into a back room, where he raped her.

Grant is a litigation partner at the Seattle law firm Bailey Grant Onsager and previously worked with the civil division of the the Seattle City Attorney's Office. He was originally ordered held on $3 million bail after his arrest, but a judge lowered the amount to $1 million on Thursday.