At least 10 homes damaged by fire during weekend cold snap
SEATTLE - Fire crews around the region spent a freezing weekend battling flames reported from at least 10 homes.
Fires gutted homes in Granite Falls, Seattle, Everett, and Olympia, while homes in Redmond, SeaTac, Graham, Gig Harbor and Maple Valley were damaged. Flames tore through a deck in Lynnwood, and one commercial fire was also reported in Seattle.
Several residents and a firefighter were reported to have sustained minor injuries. One dog died in a Seattle fire, while two cats died from carbon monoxide poisoning in SeaTac.
The Red Cross provided aid to two residences, at least 5 adults and their pets.
The cause of fire for most residences is still under investigation, and it remains unclear which fires are weather related.
In SeaTac, firefighters point out that the residence failed to have working smoke alarms, and in Enumclaw, the fire started in a chimney.
Improperly used extension cords started a fire in a Beacon Hill apartment causing $240,000 worth of damage, and a Renton family whose house caught on fire Saturday afternoon said an electrical issue inside their home's heater touched off the fire.
Fire officials urge everyone to be cautious during the winter season, and make sure to check smoke detectors. They say never leave fires unattended, and that extended fireplaces, the warming of frozen pipes, and auxiliary heat sources can be deadly culprits.