911 call sheds new light on Everett kidnapping

EVERETT, Wash. -- A recently released 911 call describes the moments a 5-year-old girl tried to get help after a stranger abducted the child from her Everett home.

When Eric King called 911 early Saturday morning, he didn't know the severity of the situation.

"There's a little kid banging at my door," he told the dispatcher. "I'm not opening it up, you know? It's four o'clock in the morning."

Looking through his peephole, King couldn't see the 5-year-old on the other side, but he could hear her voice. He's heard on the 911 call asking the girl where her parents are and where she lives.

"I feel terrible," King said. "You hear me? Why are you at my door? I feel awful."

Investigators say the girl was taken from her bedroom less than a mile from King's home. Surveillance video captured the kidnapper carrying the little girl along 112th Street SE toward the Interurban Trail.

An alert neighbor called 911 after noticing a missing screen and open window at the girl's home.

It's unclear how the girl got away from the kidnapper or how she got to King's apartment. Investigators believe kidnapper intended to assault the girl, but they say no sexual assault occurred.

On Wednesday, King listened to the 911 calls for the first time.

"I feel like I didn't do enough," he said. "I didn't really take it serious. I also thought somebody was possibly coaching her. To hear her voice again, it's kind of emotional."

Once King heard the police car outside he opened the door and saw the little girl standing there with no pants.

"She was looking at me, then looking at the cop; looking at me, then looking at the cop, and he was coming really slow. I think he was worried that she was going to be scared," King said.

Police are still searching for the kidnapper. The Washington State Patrol crime lab processed a partial footprint from inside the girl's home.

Detectives say the kidnapper is darker-colored man with dark-colored eyes and no facial hair. He wore a white hat backwards and green and blue tennis shoes. He had earrings in both ears. One was a gold stud and the other was a white diamond, according to police.