2 Kent families hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning

KENT, Wash. -- Kent fire officials are warning residents not to use barbecues to heat their homes after two local families were sent to the hospital Friday night with possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

The first incident happened at about 7 p.m. in the 25400 block of 98th Ave. S. in Kent's Easthill neighborhood. One adult and three kids living at the house complained of dizziness, headaches and nausea after using a small charcoal barbecue to heat their house.

Kent firefighters treated the family at the scene and transported them to a local hospital for further evaluation.

Just an hour later and roughly a mile away, a second family at the La Mirage Apartments called 911 after they too began feeling dizzy and nauseous. That family of two adults and three children had also been using a charcoal barbecue for heat just before they started feeling sick.

The family was taken to a local hospital to get checked out.

In the wake of these recent carbon monoxide poisonings, officials want to remind everyone not to use barbecues or generators inside their homes. Carbon monoxide is a clear and odorless gas that blocks the body's ability to absorb oxygen. It's symptoms include headache, nausea, dizziness and fatigue.

If you experience these symptoms, call 911 immediately and leave your residence.